The roof is the crowning glory of your home. It protects the structure of your house while also contributing to its overall design. Did you know that the roof color can have a major impact on your house? Aside from the appeal of a beautifully finished roof, the right roof color can extend the life of your home and make it more comfortable.
Keeping cool under a cool roof
For warm climates like ours in the Philippines, we recommend using roof materials and finishes that are known to reflect heat and help keep a house cool. Metalink, one of the country’s leading roof and solutions provider, offers skylight sheets, an economical and efficient roofing material that comes with UV protection for longer-lasting use.
For finishes, light-colored roofs are commonly used to protect against extreme heat. Metalink’s wide selection of roof finishes has been thoroughly tested by experts to ensure high quality. For example, Metalink finishes have undergone high-intensity UV tests, ensuring that your roof will not lose its vibrance under the powerful summer heat.
Light-colored roofs are famous for being cool
Many architects opt for light-colored roofs to keep their structures at manageable temperatures. What are the benefits of light-colored roofs?
- Energy-saving properties – Sometimes called “cool roofs,” light-colored roofs can reflect sunlight and heat away from your home. When combined with proper ventilation, the house can minimize its need for air conditioning, saving you money on electricity.
- Improves conditions for your area – Not only are you helping cool your home, but you also help cool the area around you. Because your roof deflects heat instead of absorbing it, it helps lower the overall heat in your area, reducing the dangerous Urban Heat Island Effect that occurs when homes and buildings are constructed close together.
- Protects against heat waves – Installing cool roofs can also help make weather conditions more tolerable. Deploying cool roofs in Indonesia resulted in greater productivity amongst workers and residents, thanks to temperatures lowering by 10.4 degrees Celsius.
- Prolongs service life – Because light-colored roofs do not absorb much heat from the sun, they’re less prone to damage from UV rays. A light finish can keep your roof from cracking or fading for a longer time.
- Visually pleasing – Light-colored roofs can make your house look large and will draw the eye’s attention to its appealing features.
Dark can be cool, too
The benefits of a light-colored roof against extremely hot weather have led many to favor it over dark-colored roofs, which are known to retain heat. But there’s no need to limit yourself to light colors anymore, as Metalink offers Cool Chemistry.
Cool Chemistry has higher thermal reflectance than other solid dark-colored paints. This finish can protect buildings from the harsh impact of the sun and provides superior thermal insulation when combined with expanded polystyrene. Buildings absorb less heat, so you save on maintenance and cooling costs.
Choosing the right roof color
Now that you know your options, it’s time to figure out what roof color is for you. Ultimately it comes down to your preference, but here are some factors that you should consider in choosing a color:
- Complement your home exterior – A color that contrasts with the rest of your house would make your roof stand out nicely. You can also opt for a color that picks up on the colors of your doors or other parts of your exterior for a nice accent.
- Check out the rest of the neighborhood – You don’t want to be the house that sticks out like a sore thumb. Check out the exteriors of your neighbor’s homes and choose a color that will complement theirs. Some neighborhoods might even have a requirement when it comes to roof colors, so make sure to check before you start buying that finish.
- Take note of the environment you live in – It would also be nice to harmonize your house’s aesthetic with the environment surrounding you. For example, if your house is surrounded by a lot of greenery, a rich green roof can set off your garden nicely.
- Figure out what impact you want your house to give off – Would you like your house to look big and striking? Light-colored roofs have an expansive effect. On the other hand, if you want your home to look classic and cozy, darker-colored roofs can create the illusion of a smaller home.
Make sure to look at color samples to find out what they will look like under different lighting conditions so you can be certain of what you’re going to get.
Your roof’s color caps off the entirety of your home. It is an extension of your personality, something you’ll see every day as you go on your daily routine. At the end of the day, the right color for you will depend on what you prefer. Thanks to Metalink, you have all the options that you need.